Join us for a heartwarming evening of musical celebration as the Staples Area Men's and Women's Choruses bring you "A Community Christmas Concert Celebration"! 🎵🌟
📅 Date: Saturday, December 9, 2023
🕖 Time: 7:00 p.m. (Doors open at 6:30 p.m.)
📍 Venue: Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Staples
🎟️ Ticket Information:
$10 per person
$25 maximum per family
At the Door:
$15 per person
$35 maximum per family
🎄 Celebrate the Season with Music and Song! 🎶
This festive event promises an enchanting evening filled with the spirit of Christmas. Don't miss the chance to experience the magic of the season through the incredible voices of our community choruses. 🎤🌟
Our goals include:
• Continued collaboration with professional
composers, directors and choruses
• Maintain focus on outreach to young male
singers in Minnesota through educational programs in partnership with area schools.
• Further the diversity of SAMC repertoire through
incorporation of elements from theater, visual arts
• Promote male chorus singing through travel,
outreach, social and performance experiences.
SING with us
The SAMC season kicks off the first Wednesday in
September each year and the chorus welcomes
new members to join us at any time during the year.
For more than 20 years, the Staples Area Men’s Chorus (SAMC) has made it part of our mission to help young men find the joy and richness that singing brings to life. As part of this effort, we work with high school and college music programs to attract and retain male singers for their choral ensembles, and to help them remain strong and vibrant organizations. Each October, these effort culminate in the Real Men Sing Choral Festival.
At no charge to participating schools, the SAMC books the facility, hires a guest conductor and a voice teacher, buys the music, and provides an evening meal. Rehearsals and workshops are scheduled in the afternoon and the event is capped off with a concert in the evening.
In addition to the Festival Chorus of over 200 Singers, the concert also features a high school men’s chorus, a college or university men’s chorus, the SAMC, and selected soloists from the vocal clinic. The Festival has been a resounding success, attracting 200 high school age young men from 15 communities and an appreciative audience that has grown every year as news of the Festival has spread.
Participating high schools are not limited to bringing only their “best” students. They can bring one, four, or all of their male singers to the Festival.
The Festival provides the opportunity to work under some of the very best choral directors in the state, as well as sessions centered on proper vocal technique and getting the best sound out of every singer’s voice.
Every participating school will have the opportunity to have at least one soloist work with the Guest Voice Clinician.
The mentoring and leadership provided by directors, clinicians and chorus members is meant to advance the goals of the event, which are to convince young men that “yes, real men do sing;” to inform them that there are artistic and creative opportunities waiting for them after leaving their high school choirs; to demonstrate that men from many walks of life and many ages, can come together, build community, create enriching music together, and have a great time doing it.
REAL MEN sing!
The Staples Area Men's Chorus is Hiring
The Staples Area Men’s Chorus needs your help! The chorus is presently seeking applicants for their Artistic Director position for the 2024-25 Season. Please see the enclosed job description for more information. If you are interested, or if you know of someone that might be interested, please send an email of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please feel free to share this with anyone that you feel may be interested and/or qualified for this opportunity. Our typical season begins in mid-August with a 2-song performance at the Little Red Caboose Variety show, followed by the Real Men Sing Festival in October, and a Christmas concert in December. These events are followed by at least 2 other performances in the “spring” of 2025. Often times we also perform at local breweries, distilleries, churches, and senior housing facilities.
At this time, we are also looking for anyone that might wish to help our chorus finish the 2023-24 Season as our Interim Artistic Director. This position would begin in the first week of January and would necessitate directing practices one night per week (currently on Wednesday evening), and helping organize and develop two concerts for the spring of 2024. Dates and format are yet to be determined at this time.
We have an unbelievable accompanist to help with your transition and our board will do everything possible to help you with this new venture. Again, if you might be interested or if you know of someone that can help with the remainder of the 2023-24 season or be considering our director for the 2024-25 Season, please contact us as soon as possible at email@example.com or call 218-296-2430. For more information visit our website at staplesmen.org.
Thank you for your consideration,
SAMC Board of Directors
Staples Area Men’s Choral and Artistic Director Position Description
Overview/Scope: The purpose of the SAMC Choral and Artistic Director is to effectively lead, direct and teach the SAMC while preparing meaningful choral experiences throughout its annual season. Through collaborative efforts between the Director, the SAMC board, the members of the SAMC, the accompanist(s), and other area ensembles, the Choral and Artistic Director will forward the mission and vision of the SAMC.
Duties: The SAMC Choral and Artistic Director will serve the chorus by carrying out the following duties as well as other responsibilities as agreed upon with the SAMC Board of Directors.
· Prepare and conduct weekly rehearsals, at a minimum, according to the schedule developed by the SAMC Board to adequately prepare the chorus for upcoming performances.
· Uses rehearsal time effectively in both large group and sectional work.
· Challenge the chorus to expand and improve musical abilities.
· Collaborate and communicate with accompanist(s) to identify areas to improve the chorus’ musicality.
· Utilize the skills of the accompanist to assist chorus members to improve.
· Inspire effort and energy within the chorus to make changes in style, music appreciation, and delivery during performances.
· Use and explain vocal pedagogy techniques when directing to improve chorus members’ techniques.
· Encourage participation and growth by SAMC members.
· Be accountable to the budget parameters set forth in the annual budget by the SAMC Board.
· Strive for excellence.
· Collaborate with the SAMC Board to schedule the concert season and be accountable for the programming selection for each concert.
· Prepares the chorus for the board-approved concert season.
· Recruit additional musicians as necessary for the satisfactory execution of the concerts.
· Create the program for each concert.
· Convey the mission and values of the SAMC through its concerts.
Artistic Direction and Vocal Enhancement
· Provide the chorus with critical vocal techniques.
· Assist the chorus in improving its members’ singing abilities.
· Recognize, diagnose, and correct musical, interpretive, rhythmic, balance, and intonation problems in an efficient, sequential, and creative manner.
· Demonstrate a solid command of existing men’s choral music.
· Actively seek to expand the working musical repertoire of the chorus.
· Listen effectively to address the various needs of the choral members or sections.
· Select and purchase with board approval the musical repertoire for the season.